The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

High School Golfers Nick Horvath and Preston Waller Make Their Mark at State Championships

Evy Deaton
Nick Horvath holding sign made by Silver Creek staff to wish him good luck at state golf tournament.

Nick Horvath and Preston Waller, two talented high school students from Silver Creek High School, along with their dedicated coach and math teacher, Chris Hackenberg, set off on an exciting journey to the golf state championships held at The Bridges in Montrose, Colorado. Showcasing their skills and determination in the face of adverse conditions.

Nick Horvath, a senior at Silver Creek, had a memorable performance at the state championships. Nick’s journey to the state championships was marked by intense dedication and skill. He placed 11th out of 72 at the regionals on September 21st, shooting a remarkable 77 at Boomerang Golf Course in Greeley. This impressive performance paved the way for his appearance at state, where he ultimately placed 38th. On the first day of the competition, Nick battled through challenging conditions, scoring 81, and followed up with a score of 82 on the second day.

The state championships were not a walk in the park. Horvath recalls, “We played two practice rounds, both warm but with 30 mph winds on Saturday and Sunday.”

The real test began on Monday, where the weather took a turn for the worse. “It was dumping rain all day, and it was super windy. These conditions were freezing cold and painful,” Horvath mentions, emphasizing the difficulty of playing golf under such circumstances. Wet golf balls and greens added to the challenge, making the state championship experience even more formidable.

Preston Waller, a junior at Silver Creek, also represented his school admirably at the state championships. Waller displayed his skills at regionals by securing the 8th position out of 72 competitors. At the state championships, he placed 46th, scoring 84 on the first day and 82 on the second day.

His dedication and passion for the game were evident throughout the competition. Waller stated he “Was proud to represent Silver Creek and play alongside with Nick”.

Accompanying these two talented golfers was their coach, Chris Hackenberg. For Hackenberg, the journey to state championships was not just about golf but also about the overall experience.

He noted, “The best part of going to state was being at a really nice golf course and seeing how the Silver Creek students perform against the best in the state”.

This exposure to high-level competition provides valuable insights and opportunities for growth for the team.

Hackenberg’s role as a golf coach holds a special place in his heart. “My favorite part of being the golf coach at Silver Creek is just to be out in the sun and the heat, and watching the boys do something they love. These kids are so much fun to be around in general.” This sentiment highlights the positive impact of extracurricular activities on students’ lives and their close-knit relationships with their coach.

In the world of high school golf, Nick Horvath, Preston Waller, and Coach Chris Hackenberg showcase dedication, skill, and teamwork, making the sport both demanding and fulfilling. Their journey to the state championships reflects their love for golf and the life lessons gained from sportsmanship and competition. These Silver Creek High School golfers and their coach inspire their peers and bring pride to their school.