The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

‘Red White and Royal Blue’ Review: When Romance Meets Politics

The novel version of the movie “Red White and Royal Blue” by Casey McQuiston found in the Silver Creek library,

Red White and Royal Blue directed by Matthew López Comedy, Romance, LGBTQ+ R 1h 58m

From the Studios of Prime Video, the new hot summer movie about a romance between Alex, son of the President of the United States (Taylor Zakhar Perez) and Prince Henry of Wales (Nicholas Galitzine) was just what the world needed.

In the beginning of the movie they are enemies, due to Henry being rude to Alex when they first met. And they were still enemies before and after the international cake incident, where the cake fell on top of Alex and Henry at the reception of Henry’s brother’s wedding. The president and Prince Henry’s parents try to fix the hole the boys created between Great Britain and the United States by forcing the boys to become friends.

However, their friendship becomes something more after Alex’s New Year party. The problems that now follow this couple is how their families, let alone the world, might not accept their relationship.

One of the funniest and well-done sevens occurs during the New Year party, with the camera angle showing Alex and Henry not being able to take their eyes off of each other. Adding the humor element during the song “Get Low” by Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz, Yang Yang Twins, where Henry becomes very confused to the lyrics of the song.

A unique feature in the movie is the way of electronically chatting in movies, when Henry and Alex are emailing, calling, or texting the movie sets it up where it looks like they are talking to each other while sitting next to each other.

A fun little ironic detail to this movie is that during a scene with Alex and Henry,
Alex is shown reading the book One Last Stop. The irony behind this scene is that
One Last Stop which is written by the same author, Casey McQuiston, who wrote Red White and Royal Blue which is what this movie was based on.

The book and the movie were very similar, but one of the differences is that there are the white house trio, Alex, his sister June, and Nora, in the book, however in the movie there was little to no mention of June. Having read the book and seen the movie, the absence of the character June doesn’t negatively affect the viewing experience.

The movie does a really good job of showing how being in the LGBTQ+ community while being in a political environment has its hardships. The royal family doesn’t want a queer prince due to the worry of how the public will react.

Red White and Royal Blue brings a fun view to a romance versus politics movie and includes heartfelt scenes that make this movie genuinely sweet and enjoyable. It brings up important themes in the world, like the LGBTQ+ community and how people can act toward someone a part of that community.

View Comments (1)