The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

The Club Behind the Curtains

Silver Creek student body president Summit Louth doing the days morning announcements

Imagine school without homecoming, spirit weeks, prom, or any activities at all. This is what Silver Creek High School would look like if it weren’t for the hard work of the club behind the curtains: Student Senate. The Senate is a student group which has made it a priority to make each year the best since the beginning of the school’s history.

Meetings are hosted on Wednesdays at 7:10AM, but don’t be intimidated by the early call time. Meetings are not each week and typically depend on the upcoming events. Homecoming is one of the busiest and most exciting times of year for Student Senate members since they get to vote for their favorite theme, and run the events.

Steve McNichols, one of Silver Creek’s history teachers, doubles as the club’s advisor. He talks about the commitment level that comes with the club.

“We go from event to event,” McNichols explains, “There are the two to three weeks leading up to homecoming, then homecoming week. After that there is kind of a lull, we have meetings about every other week.”

Summit Louth is a Silver Creek senior and our very own student body president. He finds many benefits to the group.

“Senate is a great place to get to know people in all different grade levels, have a say in important school decisions and events like homecoming and spirit days, and you can run for elective office like student body president” Louth says, “ Senate is a great place to be a part of the school community – it also looks really good to colleges!”

Louth has a multitude of jobs as the student body president, but one of his main duties is running the senate meetings. His main goal is to get students involved and encourages everyone to give it a chance.

Eva Smathers —a current sophomore— was a freshman when she decided to join. She said that joining the student senate allowed her to “meet new people at activities,” and made freshman year a lot more enjoyable. Her favorite part of Student Senate is planning for Homecoming each year.

Senate also presents the opportunity to run for different positions in the student government. The current executive members are Summit (Student Body President), Walker Brandon (Vice president), Hannah Leechman and Olivia Bowman (both secretaries), Luke Barnett (Senior Class president), Kaitlyn Johnson (Junior class president). They all had to go through an election process of some sort, and have specific roles to fulfill to keep the school running.

Regardless of if you’re a freshman or a senior and you’re looking for a way to get involved, the annually hosted Canned Food Drive is coming up and a great way to get involved. It will start the Wednesday we get back from break and end around December 9th.

“The food donated during this time will be given to local families who need food during the holidays,” Louth says.

To show your support you can drop off canned food in the massive boxes that will be located in the front of each of the wings and throughout the crescent.

Without this crucial club working its magic behind the scenes, Silver Creek would not be able to enjoy all of the fun activities and dances that we currently have. Its a great way to level up any resume, make new friends, and have a say in big events. Stop by our next meeting on November 11th and have the chance to make a difference!