The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

What Do People Learn From Mistakes?

Photo Courtesy of Munich Hemaluckpairoj
Jane Coppinger, math teacher at Silver Creek High School, teaches her student Magdeleine Des Moutis.

Making mistakes is one of the circumstances that people fear most. Surprisingly, it is the most natural and common occurrence in life. Mistakes allow you to learn from your own experiences. It’s not only a process of learning but also good for your brain growth. Learning to use mistakes effectively is a priceless life skill!

Jane Coppinger, a math teacher at Silver Creek, believes that making mistakes provides learning enhancement.

“I try very hard not to tell students they are wrong because even if their solution is not what I’m looking for, it doesn’t sincerely mean they’re wrong,” Coppinger stated. “It means…they are doing their part in their learning process.”

Coppinger helps her students understand that it’s okay to make mistakes because the students’ learning process grows as they consider their mistakes.

One of the juniors at Silver Creek, Secorra Heinrichs, suggests that people should use that opportunity to make mistakes to grow and learn from them, rather than letting the mistake upset them.

“When I make an error I will either try to go back and fix the mistake that I made, or if it is not fixable, I will accept it and know what to do better next time I try.” Heinrichs said.

As a student, Heinrichs doesn’t hesitate to fix her mistakes and start over again. She also believes that it takes some trial and getting things wrong in order to do them right in the future.

“Your brain actually acknowledges the mistakes before you do.” Coppinger said.

It is undeniable that our brain processes promptly to all sensations, movements, feelings, and thoughts. Therefore, our body allows it to notice the actions we do.

The researchers show that the brain monitors errors by neural networks contributing to monitoring errors and maintaining the corrections. The study clarified how brain regions function to support memory performance and how memory is eventually stabilized through correcting errors.

Chayakorn Ngampatipatpong, a junior at Silver Creek, shared his point of view on the outcome and positive impact of errors.

“When you realize what works or doesn’t work for you, you are able to avoid or act on your future actions.” Ngampatipatpong said.

Moreover, keeping mistakes for the future and paying attention to what’s in front of you provides the perfect opportunity to achieve goals as well.

“Mistakes are the best way to learn. People can teach you things but not as well as your own mistakes.” Ngampatipatpong continued.

Improving upon the mistakes raises awareness in people.

Making mistakes shouldn’t be viewed as a failure: it can be risky. However, It is a huge key in life experiences. It not only gives people more learning opportunities but also allows them to grow into the person they want to be.