The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

The Excitement of Winter Sports Return to Creek!

Photo courtesy of Catherine Peterson. Silver Creek Girls Basketball Team at Open Gym getting ready for the season!

As the weather gets colder, Silver Creek starts to gear up for the season of winter sports! The air is crisp, and the anticipation is building as student-athletes lace up their shoes and put on their swim caps.

After ending a great season for fall sports, students look forward to keeping busy during the winter months. Many athletes are excited to get the season rolling.

As the girls basketball team wraps up open gyms this past week and look forward to tryouts on the 13th, the girls seem very optimistic about this coming season. Junior student-athlete Izzy Spagnoletti says “Im looking forward to playing with my friends and improving as a team.”

The boys basketball team looks ahead and is ready to up last year’s season. Christian Warner, the head JV coach and head varsity assistant, says “last season the boys made it to the sweet 16 and finished our season losing to the State Champions: Mesa Ridge.” Warner says, “We graduated three seniors so it will be an advantage to have a determined and hungry roster returning. The coaching staff has high expectations for this year.”

After having a pretty good season last year, the girls swim and dive team looks forward to another season with new talent. Sophomore Delaney Ritchey says “Even though a good chunk graduated, I think we will be stronger than ever because we have such great girls.”

The boys wrestling is anticipating how this year will go for some of their seniors, hoping that some make it to state! Sophomore Josh Solis said “I really think that the season will go well. We have a good coach: Coach Blair, and we can get a few guys to state”

Athletic Director and assistant principal, Patrick DeCamillis is very excited about all of Silver Creek’s athletics this season. “I am just looking forward to watching kids compete… I think that we have got a lot of good athletes coming back.”

Each year, sports face the difficulties of losing seniors, but everyone seems very determined and optimistic about this season for sports. Senior transfer student-athlete Lucy Claire Waring says “losing seniors just allows for underclassmen and juniors to step up, and give them a sense of leadership, because normally seniors rep that position.”

With a new season of sports, new opportunities present themselves and it sounds like everyone is excited for this season of winter sports.

GO RAPTORS!