The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

Silver Creek’s Marching Band Continues To Go Strong After the Season is Over

Matthew Scogin
Silver Creek Marching Band performing “Sweet Caroline” at the Senior Night Football Game.

After months of after-school practice and half-time shows at football games, the marching band season is done… for the most part. While the era of performing the Beatles-inspired show is gone, not everything that the energetic band is doing is gone.

On October 28th, for the Longmont Halloween Parade, the Silver Creek Marching Band could be seen marching up and down Main Street, all the way from Roosevelt Park, onto Longs Peak Avenue, down to Third Avenue, and then back up to Roosevelt Park,

They performed Michael Jackson’s hit ‘Thriller,’ all while performing parts of the choreography from the music video of the song during the parade.

For Veteran’s Day on November 11, the band performed the United States Air Force song, a fanfare to celebrate the accomplishments of veterans of the Air Force, while also singing the song’s lyrics. These two parades make the overall commitment to marching band much simpler.

“Marching band has become more integrated [into] concert band, so it feels less of a commitment now, but I don’t really get to interact with people in marching band as much as during season so the parades almost feel less unified and spirited,” said Tammi Vo, a Silver Creek freshman who plays clarinet for Marching Band.

Silver Creek sophomore Daisy Tiner, a member of Silver Creek’s Color Guard, which is a part of the marching band, agreed, stating “It’s definitely a lot less busy compared to the weekly rehearsals and how many performances we had during the season.”

The band also attempted to recruit eighth grade students to come play for Silver Creek, when they had a booth at the Open House on November 15, and also performed for eighth grade students at the Silver Creek Feeder Concert, which was on November 16.

While the band is still doing parades, which will soon be finished by the Parade of Lights on December 9, they have also been performing at soccer games. On November 1, the band played at the first game of playoffs, hosted at Silver Creek. Other schools participate in these parades, which begs the question, how do others schools’ marching band commitment after the season differ?

“Well, marching band has unfortunately transferred into concert band, but we’ve still brought that ‘band kid’ energy to it,” said Shaffer Piersol, a freshman who is part of Niwot High School’s Marching Band as a trumpet player. “It also means the show [is for sure] over, and its the last season with my favorite seniors.”

The band has previously performed into the winter and spring as well, playing at basketball games, going on a trip to Disneyland, and playing for eighth graders. This year, the band will go to Orlando, and despite the season being over, it seems that marching bands, not just at Silver Creek, will continue to bring their energy anywhere they can, even when the season concludes.