The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

Parting Lessons from Menchaca and Renneker

Claire Krause
Silver Creek Spanish teacher Ana Laura Menchaca and social studies student teacher Lesley Renneker.

Schools are filled with books and computers to enhance students’ learning. However, not everything can be learned in a book; sometimes an interactive experience is needed to learn and grow. Teachers are often the ones helping students learn these important lessons that can’t be found in a textbook.

In Silver Creek High School there are over ninety staff members helping students succeed academically, socially and mentally. One of these teachers is Ana Laura Menchaca, a Spanish teacher who has made a few important observations from teaching.

“‘Camarón que se duerme se lo lleva la corriente,’” which directly translates to, “The shrimp that falls asleep is taken by the current.” However, the true meaning of this saying is, “If you’re not preparing yourself, things happen to you, because life happens,” Menchaca explains, “You have to be prepared.”

Along with learning and sharing this important life lesson of staying on top of work with her students, Menchaca also realizes the importance of education. Being a teacher requires being prepared and helping others learn, but it is also important to expand your knowledge.

“You never stop learning, because once you stop learning, you feel like you stop,” said Menchaca. “When you learn a different language other than your native language, you have a better view and perspective of the world.”

Lesley Renneker, a student teacher in the social studies department, has also learned some important life lessons to share with her students. Teaching as well as learning can be stressful and it is important to “not sweat the small things,” said Renneker. “Each day is new, and life goes on.”

The stress of school and work can sometimes impact students’ lives in a negative way. Taking time to enjoy life can help ground students and make them better prepared for what’s coming next.

“If I feel like I’m not at my best, I try to enjoy the relationships I build with students and the community that I found here,” said Renneker.

While Menchaca has been a part of our school for eight years, and Renneker has been here the past year, students are sad to see them go. Renneker will be starting her teaching career next fall at another school and Menchaca will be retiring at the end of the 2023-2024 school year. Their life lessons can continue to shape the lives of the students. Some lessons can’t be learned from a book.