The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

Veteran Teacher Retiring: Barbara Keith’s Legacy at Silver Creek

Photo+courtesy+of+Kavya+Kataria+%0A%0AApril+25%2C+2022%2C+the+Enviro+Club+was+doing+a+school+clean-up%2C+focusing+on+weeding+and+cleaning+up+any+litter+outside+the+cafeteria.+From+left+to+right+is+Tess+Norcut%2C+Boonyakorn+Nampatipatpong%2C+Emma+Milczuk%2C+Hunter+Dominquez%2C+Noella+Weber%2C+Kavya+Kataria%2C+Rakhi+Kataria%2C+Barbara+Keith+and+Carmen+Rubino+in+front.+
Photo courtesy of Kavya Kataria April 25, 2022, the Enviro Club was doing a school clean-up, focusing on weeding and cleaning up any litter outside the cafeteria. From left to right is Tess Norcut, Boonyakorn Nampatipatpong, Emma Milczuk, Hunter Dominquez, Noella Weber, Kavya Kataria, Rakhi Kataria, Barbara Keith and Carmen Rubino in front.

Since its opening in 2001, Silver Creek High School has had a group of teachers that are the “OGs” of Creek, with many still around and active in the Raptor Community today! From Jason Lathrop, Steven McNichols, to Coach Whitely and even Kristin Holtz in the library, these original “gangsters” have continued to make an impact on Silver Creek, whether they are full-time or not!

However, there is one teacher at Silver Creek who has established a legacy that will last long after her leave. Barbara Keith, one of Silver Creek’s first science teachers, will be retiring after twenty-four years of an unwavering commitment to her school community.

Barbara Keith, a Colorado native, grew up on the Western Slope of Colorado and attended Colorado Mesa University, the University of Northern Colorado and Colorado University in Boulder for her various degrees. She has spent 42 years teaching, 41 of those with St. Vrain.

Keith has had many roles at Silver Creek. From track coach to biology teacher, she’s done it all. Keith’s current role at Silver Creek is as an environmental science and biology teacher. She teaches the standard class as well as the Advanced Placement section for environmental science, which is extremely popular at Silver Creek, especially for Juniors who are interested in exploring the world of science beyond biology and chemistry.

Along with teaching environmental science classes, Keith is also the advisor of the Enviromental Club, which is potentially one of the most popular clubs here at Creek.

Kavya Kataria is one student who has gotten to build a close relationship with Keith throughout her years participating in Enviro Club.

“Ms. Keith has been such an amazing teacher and mentor… She is always very excited and supportive about everything we do and seeing her passion is very inspiring,” Kataria says. “She always has such interesting stories to share and she has been an amazing teacher that I’m lucky to have gotten to know so well”

Throughout her 24 years, Keith’s favorite moments that have stood out to her are all in relation to the bonds she builds with her students, other faculty members, and with her athletes when she was a coach. When it comes to creating connections with every single student, Keith is the master.

“My favorite memory of Silver Creek is working with the staff and students throughout the years as an educator and coaching cross country and track and field.”

However, it hasn’t always been about connecting with students and staff. Sometimes, you have to build the place to connect first.

In the year 2000, Silver Creek High School was under development and in the process of planning. Keith was on the original planning committee, which entailed many privileges and responsibilities. Over her entire Silver Creek career, this has still been one of the biggest challenges she endured.

“The biggest challenge that I have experienced teaching at Creek was the first year we opened the school because of having to stock the school with all the science equipment in one day.“ Keith explains.

Despite these challenges, we are so thankful for all of Keith’s hard work and dedication to Silver Creek throughout these years. Although Keith wants to continue her path of education at Silver Creek, she has ultimately decided to focus on herself and her health.

“I did not want to retire this year, but after some health issues occurred, I felt it was best for me to take care of myself.”

Although the entire Silver Creek community will greatly feel the loss of a dedicated and special teacher such as Barbara Keith, we wish her well on a journey to recovery and hope to see her soon, whether that be to visit, to sub, or to join in on Enviro Club’s antics!