The Talon Tribune

The Student News Site of Silver Creek High School

The Talon Tribune

The Talon Tribune

Peace and Service for Africa: Make Education Accessible

Justelle Grandsaert
Silver Creek Students and Peace and Service for Africa members Jacqueline Jarvis and Lily Hensley working on posters for their annual Change for Change fundraiser.

Since its inception in 2004, the Peace and Service for Africa (PSA) club has been working for the goal of change. Run by Silver Creek High School’s social studies teacher, Justelle Grandsaert, PSA is a group dedicated to providing funds in Maru, Kenya for equal opportunity and education.

“So, we started as a project, in South Africa, and two students wanted to do more to help” states Grandsaert.

PSA is partnered with the International Peace Initiative (IPI) an organization based in Maru, Kenya with the mission of promoting cultures of peace by supporting sustainable initiatives and improving livelihoods and quality of life for people in Africa. Partnered under the common belief that “eradicating poverty comes through education.”

“We started to learn about an organization called International Peace Initiatives. And that is based in Maru, Kenya. And so we knew we weren’t working in South Africa anymore,” says Grandsaert.

PSA is an opportunity for students to dip their feet in the water of non-profit humanitarian work. A chance to see the real-life impact of the change that they are striving for.

”I think it’s so important because in life, and especially in high school, our blinders can be narrow, we’re focused on what’s happening in our lives,” said Grandsaert. “So the more that we can increase our blinders daily for all of us, adults, and students, is huge.”

Over the years, PSA has been in the limelight gaining little attention. One of the biggest things Grandsaert would like to see change in is awareness as well as diversity in the members who involve themselves. Widening the perspective of the club and the movement to better see the impact of PSA.

“I think more people getting involved would be great,” said Grandsaert. “We have all females that are part of the club, which is great, but it would be nice to see more people involved and different genders.”

Designed by students, PSA is a humanitarian organization that helps students develop a passion for change. Allowing students to learn the love in a safe controlled environment under the leadership of someone equally as passionate.