Family and Friends Learn to Cope with COVID-19

Stacey Lepro

Celebrating a birthday for their granddaughter, Bill and Darlene Johnson relax and sit in the front yard under a shady spot on September 19, 2020. Being able to leave the house and do something that is safe and still fun was a great opportunity for the Johnson’s to get out and do something exciting. Bill said, “yes it was a perfect day to be outside. The weather was good and you had shade.” Bill also mentioned that he felt like everyone was having a good time and it made him happy.

Teya Lepro, Staff writer

2020 has all the talk, from hurricanes, fires, economy, and especially with the new frightening virus, COVID 19 going around. This pandemic has changed how everyone works, go to school, socialize, communicate, shop, dress, and cope with day to day life.  With times being so difficult and different for so many people, it is important to focus on things and habits that can be relief and comfort for people.

Kimi Jensen, a Federal Probation Supervisor in Nebraska, shared that her job has changed drastically during the quarantine.  She is working from home and homeschooling her twelve-year-old daughter at the same time. She isn’t “able to turn off work” throughout the day, and it continues even after normal work hours.  Ms, Jensen has to be careful about the work content not affecting her daughter. She deals with very adult topics, and she needs to make sure that her daughter can not hear her phone conversations or Zoom meetings. Ms. Jensen said what is helping her handle all of the new stresses is to, “Set good boundaries, understand routines, have a designated workspace, and get up get ready.” She is also focusing on what is positive in her life and is thankful that she has a job and can work from home during this time.

Covid-19 quarantine has affected not only people with jobs and children, it has affected the older generation’s as well. Bill and Darlene Johnson are a retired couple who have had to adjust everything in their daily lives.  They are worried about catching the virus since they are both older and have preexisting conditions. This puts the Johnson’s at higher risk if they catch the virus. Because of this, they haven’t gone out since March 13 when everything shut down.  Bill and Darlene have “lots of time at home.” They depend on their one daughter to buy their groceries, pick up medication, and cook them food since they can’t eat at restaurants. They only see that daughter and her family. They have seen their other daughter and her family three times for only a few hours during this time. Despite being so isolated the Johnson’s too have found things that are helping them cope.  Darlene said, “Just keep busy, and visit with family,” They visit with their grandkids through FaceTime, and they talk with other family members on the phone. Bill recommends, “lots of nature, tv, and reading.” They have gotten through this even with it being so difficult for them. 

Being a high school student can be difficult just by itself, but now there are new stressors that have gotten involved with learning and a normal school schedule. A student from Silver Creek High School, Jordan Thomas, explained that being a student, doing online learning and still getting your schoolwork done in the most efficient way. “Try to work with other people, it helps a lot”, Jordan says. Scheduling and being organized helps to stay on top of the assignments.  Also, keeping your schoolwork separate from distractions, such as TV or siblings. Jordan says it is difficult not being able to see her friends very often, but she tries to as much as possible.  

Everyone is dealing with different types of stress from this pandemic, but it seems that most people have additional stress right now. Some helpful tools we have heard to be effective would be to, stay organized and focused, be creative in the way you stay connected with people important to you, and find things you enjoy to occupy your time.